Cleaning the leaves of houseplants
How to Dust Houseplants
House plants often suffer from an accumulation of dust and spiders, especially during the dry months of winter. Hand washing, if possible, is often difficult.
Spraying the Plants
Take the plants outdoors.Choose a mild day, during the warmest time.
Spray the leaves, especially on the undersides.Use a spray bottle, available from garden stores and many hardware stores.
Gauge the force of the spray carefully.Match the spray strength to the fragility of the plant. For instance, a rubber plant will stand far more water pressure than will a begonia.
Allow the plants to drip dry.When dry, take them back into the house.
Cleaning Large Leaf Plants
This method is a good way to clean rubber plant leaves or any big leaf plant.
Take a cotton ball and dip it in a bowl of milk.
Wipe the leaves with the milk dipped cotton ball.This both cleans and leaves the leaves on the plant very shiny and clean.
QuestionHow do I remove dust from Christmas cactus leaves?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt's best to use a small make-up brush with the softest of bristles. I have a chat with my Christmas cactus whilst gently brush-stroking the leaves regularly, and the new leaf production each year is very pleasing.Thanks!
- If a warm outdoor area with a water supply is not available, you can set your bathroom shower to a gentle, warm spray and place the plants under it for a while. Turn them occasionally to get spray from multiple angles.
- Be sure to use enough force to remove both dust and spiders or other insects from the plants.
- Do not leave delicate plants in direct sunlight for extended periods of time.
- Handle plants with care to avoid damaging them.
Sources and Citations
- Kains, M.G. (1935). Gardening Short Cuts. New York and Cleveland: World Publishing Company - Book in public domain. Copyright not renewed.
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
Dec 2, 2019
Mar 8, 2019
Dec 1, 2019
Dec 30, 2019
Aug 19, 2019
Video: How To Clean Houseplant Leaves
Weekend Obsessions: Beach Hair Products To Fall in LoveWith
How to Research Charities
How to Eat Like an Olympian
Should i shave against the grain
Shay Mitchell’s Easy Hack to Make Her False Eyelashes Look MoreNatural
Chic Shoe Buys
Josh Newlan creates Say What to tune out of conference calls
How to Camp As a Lifestyle
Breakfast Tacos to Spice Up Your Morning Routine