Let's Talk About Thawing a Turkey
How to Defrost a Turkey Safely (USDA Standards)
Purchase the frozen turkey and place the turkey in the freezer until ready to defrost the frozen bird.
Defrost the frozen turkey in the refrigerator.According to the USDA, allow 24 hours for every 5 pounds of turkey. Alternately, you could thaw the turkey in cold water, changing the water every 30 minutes. Allow 30 minutes of cold-water defrost time per pound of turkey. For instance, it will take 7 hours to fully defrost a 14-pound turkey using the cold water method.
QuestionHow soon do you need to cook a turkey after defrosting?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerCook it within a few hours if left out, or a day if stored in the fridge.Thanks!
QuestionCan I defrost using the water method and then put the turkey in the refrigerator overnight?Community AnswerI wouldn't. It's best to roast a defrosted turkey as soon as it's thawed, especially if you defrost it using the water method.Thanks!
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- The USDA does not recommend defrosting the turkey on the kitchen counter.
- Make sure raw turkey juices do not drip onto surrounding food while defrosting in the refrigerator.
- Cook the defrosted turkey immediately.
- If you found yourself a little short on defrosting time, it is possible to combine the two methods. Use the refrigerator method as much as you can, then finish (or alternate) with the cold water method.
- If your turkey is still not completely defrosted at cooking time, you can still cook it. It will take somewhat longer, depending on how frozen it is. Be sure to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature in the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest part of the breast. A whole, unstuffed turkey is safe when cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 165 °F (74 °C). If your bird is stuffed, the stuffing must reach 165 °F (74 °C) in the center, even if the rest of the turkey is warmer than that. ALWAYS use a meat thermometer, even if your turkey has a pop-up timer.
Video: How to Thaw Foods Properly
Proenza Schouler y Lancôme lanzan la colección de maquillaje más bonita de la temporada
Best man stops wedding ceremony to propose to his pregnant girlfriend
8 Movies to Watch on Netflix Before They Expire in November
Tabata Workout: 9 Must-Try Moves to Get Started
Spicy Pork Posole
Prada AutumnWinter 2013 Campaign
How to Make Elderflower Cordial
How to Serve Sangria
How to Draft on a Bike
Sweet Spiced Pork Kebabs Recipe
How to Celebrate Easter
Our 10 Favorite Celebrity Faux BobHairstyles
Jimmy Kimmel Takes on the Congressmen Who Enabled the Massacre in His Hometown of Las Vegas
Date: 02.12.2018, 01:35 / Views: 65282