Body for Life: An Animated Book Summary
How to Compare Body for Life to the Atkins Diet
Compare Dietary Requirements
Body for Life and Atkins are very different in terms of their philosophies of what to eat and how to lose weight. If you choose Atkins, then you will need to make sure to take extra steps to balance vitamins and minerals. You will also have to severely limit your carbohydrate intake on the Atkins diet.
Eat 6 meals per day on the Body for Life diet.
- Each meal should consist of 1 carbohydrate portion and 1 protein portion.
- The portions should match the size of your palm if you’re eating meat, or the size of your closed fist for bulkier foods like fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
Follow the 4 phases of the Atkins diet while eating 4 to 5 times per day.
- Start the Atkins diet by going through Induction. During this period, you will eat no more than 20 grams of carbohydrates per day, and that total should contain 12 to 15 grams of carbohydrates from foundation vegetables.
- Continue into Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL). After the 2-week Induction period, gradually add carbohydrates to your daily total to find your carbohydrate level for weight loss (CLL).
- Start Pre-Maintenance after OWL. When you are within 10 pounds of your goal weight, continue adding carbohydrates to your daily total until your weight loss slows to a crawl. This will help you to determine your carbohydrate equilibrium that you can utilize in Lifetime Maintenance.
- Progress to Lifetime Maintenance. Eat the number of carbohydrates each day that you can safely consume without losing or gaining weight.
Drink twice as much water on Body for Life.You’ll have to drink at least a gallon of water per day on the Body for Life diet. That amount is the equivalent of 16 8-ounce glasses of water per day.
Drink at least 8 8-ounce glasses of water per day on the Atkins diet.
Add additional vitamins and minerals to your diet on Atkins.Body for Life does not have supplementation requirements.
- Take 1 multivitamin and 1 fish oil capsule daily on Atkins. Your multivitamin should not contain extra iron because the extra iron could cause constipation.
- Consume more sodium on the Atkins diet. Low-carb diets may leach sodium and potassium from your kidneys. Therefore, you should consume 2 cups of broth per day on Atkins, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce or 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
Compare Exercise Requirements
Body for Life places a major emphasis on both cardiovascular exercise and strength training. The Atkins diet recommends moderate exercise but does not offer any specific guidelines.
Perform 20 minutes of cardiovascular exercise every other day on Body for Life.Your workout should consist of interval training following this pattern:
- Warm up for 2 minutes at moderate intensity.
- Slightly increase intensity for minutes 2 to 3.
- Work you way to a high intensity level (you should be able to carry on a broken conversation) during minute 4. Keep the intensity high through minute 5 and bring it back to a moderate level during minute 6.
- Repeat the pattern during minutes 7 to 11 and during minutes 12 to 16.
- Accelerate during minute 17 to your highest level. Maintain that level of intensity for 1 full minute.
- Use the last 2 minutes to bring yourself back to a moderate level and to cool down.
Consider cardiovascular exercise on the Atkins diet.Exercise is not recommended during Induction because of all of the physiological changes that are occurring in your body. However, when you reach OWL, you may add moderate cardio to your exercise routine.
Perform weight training on the days that you are not performing cardiovascular exercise on the Body for Life diet.You should perform cardio and weight training 6 days per week on alternating days and rest on the 7th day. Your weight training should alternate between 1 day of upper-body work and 1 day of lower-body work.
- Choose 2 exercises from each upper body category (chest, back, shoulders, biceps, triceps) or 2 exercises from each lower body category (quadriceps, hamstrings, calves, abs).
- Perform 12 reps of the 1st exercise with a light weight. Rest 1 minute.
- Add more weight and perform 10 repetitions. Rest 1 minute.
- Add even more weight and perform 8 repetitions. Rest 1 minute.
- Add the maximum amount of weight that you can tolerate and perform 6 reps. Rest 1 minute.
- Go back to the original light weight and perform 12 reps. You will not rest after this set.
- Immediately perform the second exercise for 12 reps with the light weight.
- Rest for 2 minutes before going on to the next muscle group.
Choose whether or not to perform strength training exercises on the Atkins diet.Some versions of Atkins, like Atkins Advantage, do recommend some strength training. Other versions of Atkins, like The New Atkins for a New You, offer no recommendations for strength training.
- Both diets will require you to devote more time to meal planning and preparation. Take a few moments at the beginning of every week to sketch out a meal plan. Then, stock your pantry with needed items from the grocery store so that you have everything on-hand.
Video: Body of Work
Suite Blanco FallWinter 2012-2013 Campaign
How to speed up the ripening process
How Long Does It Take To Burn Off Your Favourite Snacks
2 Ways To Rub Away Pain
How to Prune Cytisus Battandieri
Sweet Potatoes: Nutritional Profile 12 Impressive Benefits
What Jennifer Aniston Really Eats in a Day
How to Measure Astigmatism
How to Decide on a Career Path
5 Tricks for Making Your Nails Look Great WithoutPolish