Cleaning Jewelry : Cleaning Turquoise & Silver Jewelry
How to Clean Silver Turquoise Jewelry
Turquoise jewelry is beautiful, especially when paired with silver. However, cleaning can be tricky. It's vital to clean the silver part and the turquoise part separately. Keep any polish or cleaner you use for the silver off the turquoise. With a little time and care, you can keep your jewelry in great condition.
Cleaning the Turquoise
Dampen a cloth with water.Cleaners and turquoise generally don't mix. Turquoise is very susceptible to damage and discoloration. Even mild dishwashing detergent can damage the stone. Stick to using a damp rag.
Wipe down the stone.Remove any unwanted dirt or grime. Use gentle motions to avoid damage. If your turquoise is very dirty, this may take some time. However, do not dip turquoise in water to speed up the process. This can harm the gem.
Dry your jewelry with a clean cloth.Gently dab any excess water from the turquoise. Letting water sit on the turquoise can harm the gem, so it's vital to get it dry after cleaning.
- Never air dry turquoise or use heat to speed up the process.
Cleaning the Silver
Use a commercial silver polish.Silver rarely needs washing when it's attached to turquoise and, as cleaners can harm turquoise, it's generally best to stick to a light polishing. Use a commercial polish designed specifically for silver.
- You can find a silver polish online or at some department stores.
Rub down the silver with the polish.Read your polish's instructions for precise directions. Usually, you use a cloth or rag to gently buff the polish onto the silver. Keep buffing until the silver shines and any tarnish, dirt, or debris are removed.
Keep silver polish away from the turquoise portion of the jewelry.Work extremely slowly when cleaning silver jewelry. Silver polish, even in small amounts, can harm turquoise. Take extreme care not to get any polish on the turquoise.
- In the event that trace amounts of polish end up on your turquoise, remove them right away. You can dab them out with a paper towel or rag.
Preventing Damage to Your Jewelry
Protect the jewelry from harsh cleansers.As turquoise is so sensitive, you do not want to risk exposing it to cleaners. Things like dish soap, laundry detergent, and other cleaners can easily damage turquoise. Remove turquoise jewelry when cleaning and keep it in a safe place where it will not be exposed to any cleaners.
Avoid using hand lotion when wearing turquoise.If you're wearing things like rings and bracelets made of turquoise, it's best to avoid or minimize your use of hand lotion. Hand lotion, like most household products, can potentially damage turquoise.
- Sunscreen may also be harmful. If you've applied sunscreen to your chest, do not wear a turquoise necklace afterwards.
Keep your jewelry dry.In addition to drying turquoise after cleaning it, strive to keep it dry in general. Do not leave it sitting out in damp places, such as beside the kitchen sink
Clean your turquoise when it gets dirty.As turquoise jewelry is very sensitive, cleaning it too often may damage the stone. To keep it in good shape, only clean the turquoise when it appears dirty.
QuestionHow do I remove dirt from a crack in turquoise? Hydrogen peroxide? Baking soda?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTurquoise is very fragile, so do not attempt this on your own. Take your turquoise to a jeweler for help.Thanks!
QuestionCan I clean turquoise with baking soda?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNo. Any cleaners used on turquoise can damage it.Thanks!
QuestionDoes water damage turquoise?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt's safe to clean turquoise jewelry with warm, soapy water. Never clean it with steam or ultrasonic cleaners.Thanks!
Could I use vinegar to brush the black stuff around the turquoise?
- Keep sliver turquoise jewelry in a soft jewelry bag away from other pieces of jewelry.
- You can also use a soft bristled toothbrush to clean the jewelry.
- If you use a silver polishing cloth that does not have cleaning agents, it can also be used to clean the turquoise.
- Silver turquoise jewelry can be easily scratched; only use non-scratching products and cleaners.
- Do not wear turquoise jewelry when you exercise or do other strenuous activities because they may get scratched.
- Do not soak silver turquoise jewelry in water or cleaner because the turquoise can become unstable.
Video: Cleaning Jewelry : How to Clean Silver Turquoise Jewelry
How to Remove a Post on Topix
Free Balance Me hand cream with November Marie Claire
How to Privately Sell a Gun in Virginia
Want to Avoid a Cold Cover Your Nose With a Scarf
Loroscopo del mese di giugno 2019
20 Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes That Don’tSuck
How to Change a Tik Tok Account to Private
Tips to make your hair thicker
Simnel Cake Recipe
J.Lo Wore That Iconic Grammy Dress Again Last Night