English Variations (Part 1)
How to Call the UK from Australia
Making international calls can seem daunting but, once you get the hang of it, calling the United Kingdom from Australia is easy to do. As long as you know the right exit code, country and area codes, and the personal number, you can contact anyone in the UK. Because international calls can be expensive, however, taking steps to reduce long distance fees can help lower your phone bill. And, if you want to avoid extra costs altogether, you can always try alternative methods to contact people in the UK.
Using a Cell Phone or Landline
Dial “0011” for the Australian exit code.The exit code is the series of numbers that allows you to leave the Australian phone network and make international calls. You'll need to enter the exit code before dialing the rest of the phone number.
- Regardless of where you're calling to, you will need the exit number for any number outside of Australia.
Dial "44" after the exit code.This is the United Kingdom's national area code. Similar to the exit code, this number will help direct your call to the UK.
Enter the 2-5 digit city code.Different cities in the UK have unique city codes. In order to direct your call to the right person, you'll need this 2-5 digit code.
- You can find a list of UK city codes at .
Dial the person's 4-8 digit personal phone number.The length of their phone number will depend on how many digits their city code is—the longer their city code, the shorter their personal number will be. Once you've entered the full phone number, press the send button to begin your call.
- Double-check the phone number before sending to make sure you reach the right person.
Avoiding High Calling Fees
Try a VoIP service for occasional international calls.VoIP services work by converting your phone into an internet signal to make your call less expensive. Set up an account with a VoIP service if you plan on making multiple calls to the UK.
- VoIP services are compatible with most landline and cell phones.
- To use a VoIP service, you'll need to sign up with a provider online and then buy credits for your account that you can use to make calls.
Purchase a calling card if you make frequent calls to the UK.Calling cards offer prepaid minutes for calling abroad at a cheaper rate. Once you have a calling card, you can apply it to calls you make to the UK so your phone bill is cheaper.
- You can buy calling cards online, at some grocery stores, or from some phone services.
Ask your phone service about international calling deals.Some phone services offer special plans or deals for people who make regular international calls. Contact your phone service or check their website about special deals or plans for calling other countries.
- Let your phone service know where to and how often you make international calls so they can match you with the right deal.
Trying Budget-Friendly Alternatives
Try a messaging app to avoid high calling fees.Messaging apps are a cheap, often free way to talk with people in other countries. Use a messaging app if you want to contact the person but don't necessarily need to hear their voice.
- Popular messaging apps include Messenger, WhatsApp, Snapchat, and Kik.
- If you need to speak verbally with the other person, messaging apps will usually not be as useful.
Use Skype, FaceTime, or other web conferencing services to make video calls.Video calls can be a cost-free alternative to calling if you want to speak verbally with the other person. Make an account with a web conferencing service and call the other person through the app without worrying about international fees.
- To use this method, both you and the person you're calling must have an account with the service.
- If you don't want to do a video call, many of these services allow you to make regular calls as well.
Try a web phone as a free way to call UK phones.As long as you have a Wi-Fi signal, you can use web phones to contact other countries for free. Make an account with a web phone service and dial in the number just as you would with your phone.
- Popular web phone services include Google Voice, Pinger, and VirtualPhone.
- VoIP services are different from web phones in that you can use your cell or landline number, whereas with web phones you use a separate one.
Text the person instead to contact them quickly and cheaply.While most phone services still charge a fee for texting internationally, it is still often cheaper than calling. If you want to contact the person through your phone with lower fees than calling, texting can be an efficient alternative.
- Like with using a messenger app, texting is not ideal if you want to verbally connect with the person.
- Check with your service provider before calling the UK to review international calling fees and possible plans or deals.
- Before you call the UK, keep in mind that international calling is generally more expensive than calling other Australian numbers. Consider an alternative (like texting or using an app) if you're worried about high calling fees.
Video: How to Make International Calls : How to Call Australia From the United States
CPR Help as Near as Your Phone
Health and Fitness Trends to Watch in 2013
Happy National Doughnut Day
20 Stylish Spring Outfits With A Leather Jacket
This Harry Potter Color-Changing Candle Will Sort You Into a Hogwarts House
Ways to Perk Up After a Sleepless Night
How to Treat a Knee Sprain
20 Bestsellers From NYX You Need To Try Right Now
Layered, Messy Bob
10 Dry Hair Habits to Break