Celebs React to Bruce Jenner Interview
Bruce Jenner Confirms Gender Transition to Diane Sawyer: Quotes, Facts, and More
Note: We are referring to Bruce as "Bruce" and using male pronouns. Diane Sawyer confirmed that Bruce himself said that, "for purposes of this interview,we should use the familiar 'him or he.'"
Bruce Jenner has confirmed his gender transition in a one-on-one interview with Diane Sawyer. "Yes, for all intents and purposes, I am a woman," Bruce said. "That female side is part of me."
The interview began with an emotional Bruce crying.
"Diane, let's do it ... It's gonna be tough. I've been thinking about this day forever. And what I should do with my life ... how do I tell my story? ... And that day is today ... Today is the day to be honest with myself ... it's been really tough."
Bruce admitted to being "very confused" since he was a a child. "My brain is much more female than it is male."
And then a triumphant moment: "Shall I take my ponytail out?" He did.
Here are facts and quotes from the interview, added to this post as they've unfolded in the interview.
- Bruce and Diane visit Bruce's hometown of Sleepy Hollow, Tarrytown, New York. Bruce says he remembers trying his sister's dresses and mother's scarves from when he was eight years old.
- "I was never attracted to guys," Bruce says. Diane says they will talk more about this later.
- A year into his first marriage, with Chrystie Crownover, Bruce told Chrystie about some of his feelings. She was the first person Bruce told.
- "I am not gay," Bruce says.
- Bruce says he also told his second wife, Linda Thompson, the truth.
- He actually began transitioning in the '80s. He took hormones for almost five years. He got electrolysis as well.
- "He told me that he always felt that he should have been a girl," his sister Pam said, also admitting that she never "told a soul" for 30 years. They didn't talk about it.
- Diane asks if he dreams as a woman. "Yes, I do. I always have."
- He stopped transitioning in the eighties because he became afraid — of "public spectacle," of breaking from his religious. His career as a motivational speaker took off. "I would feel like a liar," he said.
- He told Kris about some of his feelings when they met, but says he "downplayed it." She did see him dressed as a woman. They never went to therapy. "Tried to deal with it on our own," he said.
- "I loved Kris. I had a wonderful life with her. I learned a lot from her ... I thought we had a pretty good sex life. Later on as I heard, maybe we didn't."
- Diane asks, "Are you sorry you did that show [Keeping Up With the Kardashians]?" [Bruce raises his hand] "I had the story." He says that the whole time he was thinking, "The one real, true story in the family was the one I was hiding."
- "Kris is a good woman, I've got no complaints with her," Bruce said. But he says that if she were really comfortable with his decision to transition, they might still be together.
- ABC reached out to Bruce's three ex wives for comment. Kris Jenner said she had "no comment."
- The first child he told was Brandon, 33. "The way he did it wasn't perfect," Brandon says. But he felt relieved. "I'm not handling this perfectly. I'm just doing my best to cope."
- "I think all the traits that I loved about Bruce, she still has," says Brody.
- The kids all cried when he told them he was planning to transition. They did ask things like "Why do you have to do it now, dad?"
- Khloé is taking it the hardest. "She's had the toughest time with it, because she's had a lot of losses in her life."
- Kim said that what really "turned [her] around" in her thinking about his transition is Kanye. "He says to Kim, 'Look, I can be married to the most beautiful woman in the world, and I am ... but I'm nothing if I can't be me. If I can't be true to myself.'"
This post has been and will be updated throughout, as the two-hour special unfolds.
Video: Reports: Diane Sawyer to talk transitioning with Bruce Jenner
Find Your Dream Doctor
How to Maintain a Hydroponic Nutrient Reservoir
Menacing Mercury Levels Found in Some Seafood
Chronic Heartburn May Boost Risk for Esophageal Cancer
80 Zeus Tattoo Designs For Men – A Thunderbolt Of Ideas
Pumpkin-Ricotta Stuffed Shells
From rejection to Richard Branson
FIRST LOOK Paul Joe for theOutnet.com
Get The Look: Kate Moss’ Effortlessly Cool Off-DutyStyle
Divorce-Proof Your Marriage: How To Help A Spouse With Depression
A New Way To ShopBAZAAR.com Official Sweepstakes Rules
How to Make a Halloween Mobile
Prince Charles Says Prince Georges First Day Of School Will Have Been Character Building